DIA Announces “Priorities List”
The Jacksonville Business Journal recently published a slideshow that features the projects that the Downtown Investment Authority (DIA) has named as priorities. A link to the slideshow can be found here. Projects included in the list are:
- Create a program (Downtown Retail Enhancement Grant Program) to encourage retail/restaurant expansion in the core of downtown Jacksonville.
- The Urban Art Façade and Streetscape Program- to promote “urban design” and “attractive streetscape enhancements”
- Money is being set aside to allow the city to host more events downtown, in an effort to draw people to the area after 5 PM
- New signage for Northbank CRA area- signs will provide direction to major attractions/landmarks
- Promotion of the “Elbow District”, an area the city is trying to re-brand as Jacksonville’s entertainment district, which already features the Florida Theatre, Underbelly, Marks and Dive Bar.
- Participation with the National Register of Historic Places
- Increasing housing downtown, through the use of grants, incentives and abatements
- Implementation of a “Park Once” strategy, with the goal of discouraging additional parking spaces and using what is currently available more efficiently
- Free Wi-Fi Downtown
- Improved lighting in public areas
- Southbank Riverplace Boulevard “road-diet”. The existing road (5 lanes) is larger than necessary and is not pedestrian friendly.